Monday, June 7, 2010

the first blog

So, this is the first post on my blog. How exciting!

I am sitting in the Cape Town international airport waiting for my flight to Durban where i will be for the next 3 weeks. It is winter break, so most people go back to where they originate from for a little bit. I am quite excited because it is the Soccer World Cup and I am going to two games in Durban. Should be very exciting indeed! The patriotism that has suddenly hit South Africa, with flags on cars and house and the bafana bafana shirts, is really heart-warming (even if my flag was stolen off my car!). It should be an interesting and exciting next month in South Africa! If nothing else, at least we got some nice roads out of it :-)

These holidays are much needed. It has been a long semester, and one that probably did not go so well at the end of the day. I am considering changing to a more human rights focused degree instead of social justice. I feel that this is more inline with my interests and future (whatever that might hold). There have been many dramas- friendships, relationships, housemates, degree...many many stressful things this term. So, a nice home cooked meal, where there is always electricity and someone else to wash my dishes, the clothes and make my bed, will be very much appreciated!

Yet, it is always sad to leave Cape Town. Especially since two of my very best friends are leaving sunny South Africa for Southeast Asia (Japan and Taiwan) at the end of July. So things seem to be changing once again. Many people left at the end of last year, so i feel like my enormous friendship group has shrunk down to two :-(

Nevertheless, this blog will ensure that the next six month of this year are extra exciting and fun-filled! There are things I have not done in my 5 years in Cape Town and now seems like a good time to start.

Well, I best be off. Time to board the plane.
Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment