Tuesday, June 15, 2010

the opening match and soccer fever






Soccer fever has hit! The opening match was fantastic! I have never felt a spirit like that before. I headed down to the fan park with my friend Lon, and met up with my friend Lucy and her family. There were thousands (they say 25 000 people there) and the vuvuzela's were amazing. I am not a pro at it yet...but i am getting there. I had my bafana bafana shirt and SA flag waving high. I have never been so proud to live in South Africa. We all sang the national anthem at the top of our lungs and held out breath hoping Bafana would win. Let me tell you, Lon and I were nervous! We desperately, like every other South African, wanted our boys to win! When that first goal was scored (and what a magnificent goal it was), we went crazy! I have never heard noise like that. It was deafening. The vuvuzela's, the flags, the shouting, the jumping! It was spectacular! And then when Mexico scored, it was deafeningly silent. Not a sound, no flags waved, no vuvuzela's. All 25 000 of us were silent. If there were any Mexicans there, they were smart enough to keep quiet! But a few minutes later, we recovered and the supporting started again...even louder than before! And when that ball hit the pole and didn't go in, we were devastated! What a let-down. Nevertheless, a draw is excellent anyway! Bafana Bafana did us proud! They played amazingly and i have faith that they will make it through!

Next, was the American England game. Considering i was born in England, i should be supporting them. But i am also American, with my mom being American and me inheriting the citizenship from her. So i was split on who to support. In the end, i decided that England gets my vote because, honestly, Americans cannot play soccer! So it was my mom and brother for USA and me and my dad for England. Can't say i was too patriotic after that game...my team did not play very well at all. Nevertheless, it was an exciting game and we wait with baited breath to see who makes it though. I still hope its England!

Tomorrow, I am off to my first match- Spain vs Switzerland! I am so excited! I cannot wait. The Durban Stadium is amazing and, even though i have little aligence to either team, the atmosphere will be great. Plus, Spain is said to be a team which could win the world cup, so thats exciting too! Right now, it is very chilly in Durban (ironic considering its world cup advert is 'the city that has summer all year long'!) so hopefully it will warm up for the game. Boy oh Boy i am excited!

And not to forget, Bafana's second game tomorrow night against Uruguay. Good luck to them! I will be wearing my shirt and waving my flag once against, hoping for a win!

Feel it...it is here! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment