Sunday, September 5, 2010

The time of goodbyes

The world is a wonderful but horrible place. You live in a place but there are so many more to see and most people have got this curiosity to go and see all these places. It is a gift and a curse. It is a gift to have the ability to travel so easily and see so many fantastic things, but it is a curse leaving behind loved ones and saying goodbye.

Tomorrow, one of my best friends leaves for a six month (minimum) traveling trip. Lucy and I have been friends for many many years- I think it was grade 6 that we really became friends, and we have remained so through high school, university and now whatever state we are in at the moment. Tomorrow she is getting on a plane for her first overseas trip. She is going to London for a bit and then around Europe and then back to London to work for a while, and then where-ever the wind takes her. It will be a once-in-a-lift time, amazingly fantastic trip and i am so so jealous!

But now, she is the forth person since July I have said goodbye to. Hallie has gone to Taiwan, Lisa has gone off to Japan, Kate off to China (yes she was there before but then visited and then it was goodbye again) and now Lucy to London. Now all these chaps are leaving for Oxford, Cambridge, Edinburgh and all sorts. More goodbyes. And before all that, Jo left for South Korea.

It has been a heart-breaking time. I feel like my social life has shrunk but my skype list has doubled. I spend my friday nights sending emails instead of going out. I am so happy for all my friends who are off on all their adventures and I know my time will come. But it is incredibly hard to say Goodbye and think about not seeing their faces for so long.

Who knows what this life holds for us, but what I do know is that it is an adventure and you just have to go with the flow. So to all my friends reading this from all over the world, I hope you are having an amazing time...and think of me thinking about all of you :-)

1 comment:

  1. Dude, you time is coming - Dec trip with your brother. So jealous! It'll be so great. And who knows, if I make a ton in Nov and Dec maybe I will pop over for Christmas! Skype soon dude. Strength of the bear :)

    ReplyDelete