Thursday, July 29, 2010

you've got a friend in me




So, as I sit on my bed on my one night off a week, I thought about the past day and wondered why the world can be so mean sometimes and how people can really bring happiness to a sad day.

This morning, just after I had woken up and as I sat down to enjoy my muesli and coffee, I got an sms from my good friend, Jacqui. Her lady-friend, Winnie-the-pooh, had ended their relationship via sms! Well that is just plain mean! So instead of going to gym, I headed over to my friend’s house. Before getting there though, I needed to get some wine and was a little concerned because it was 9am and what bottle store would be open. Well never fear, the bottle store was open…I guess for those early risers or something like that.

I arrived at Jacqui’s to already see Jen, Clair and Jenny there with the same idea, and we sat down at 10am to enjoy some wine, niknaks and chocolate. A good healthy start to the day. Considering I had no classes today, I figured why not have some wine, and so the drinking began. At 12, Jen had to leave to go to a meeting but as she left Bontle arrived and we went off to get some more supplies. Some vodka, brutal fruit, lemon twist and Steers were purchased and back to Jacqui’s we headed. Throughout the afternoon more people came with more varieties of goodies to eat and drink and at 5:30 I got into my little red car (after sobering up of course) and drove home.

I felt like I had been away like I would have been if I had a job- 9 to 5 in the office. Except, I had gotten no work done and has spent the day on a mattress in the sunshine. The perfect job if you ask me. Except that I had to come home and do a reading for my workshop tomorrow, which was kind of lame.

What an interesting day. People, busy people who are not only studying but also running community projects and working part-time, dropped everything and came to the side of a friend in need. It is amazing to know that there are real friends in this world who do come to your side when things go wrong; who will drop whatever they were doing, hop on their bicycle and arrive at your house with booze in hand. They will tell jokes and funny stories the whole day while you listen to some strange music and enjoy the sunshine.

The world can be a mean place with heartbreak, disappointment, sadness and pain, but it too can be a world composed of wonderful groups of friends who create memories like today which make you a little less scared of the big bad world. Sometimes life sucks and sometimes you heart gets broken, but you will always have your friends who will help you put it back together again.

An interesting and entertaining day that has left me with a little smile on my face :-)

2 comments:

  1. A post toy story writers would have been proud of heyheyhey ;)
    I hope Jacqui feels better soon.
    It's nice to hear of the good things people are capabale of for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an epic day :) although the meeting in the middle was slightly less epic than the res..

    ReplyDelete